If you love saying YES and enjoy engaging with the community by leading with ART 21c is the perfect place for you.
Reports To: Chef de Cuisine/Executive Chef
Supervises: Line Cooks, Stewards
General Purpose: A Sous Chef has worked very hard to get where he/she is and a new sous knows the real hard work is yet to come. It is time to become a leader, a sergeant, a direct line to the Chef de Cuisine (CDC) or Executive Chef (EC) for the line cooks. Not only is the Sous Chef directly responsible for being proficient at every station and facet in the kitchen, a sous needs to know, in great detail, what it takes to make everything run smoothly and have an understanding what the positions above them do to keep the wheels turning. Sous chef is one of the key positions in the kitchen.
- Owns service period and crew.
- Able to be multifaceted with eyes on all kitchen activity.
- Knows strengths and weaknesses of line staff under supervision, knows what and when to delegate and to whom having set clear expectations for the finished product.
- Available to assist line staff with recipe techniques and station prep, and to answer any questions they may have.
- Abreast of all menu changes, regardless of service period.
- Relays important information about the day service for line staff as they arrive, such as menu changes, station assignments and private events.
- Makes sure stewarding staff is following their opening, closing, and mid service side work. Coordinate with CDC on supervision of stewarding department.
- Maintains clean and organized walk-ins & dry storage area.
- Orders daily and weekly product in conjunction with CDC.
- Stays aware of food and labor costs and makes efforts to control these in their particular service periods.
- Collaborates with CDC and/or EC on menu development and engineering.
- Minimum of two years' experience in a fine dining restaurant environment.
- Understanding of professional cooking and knife handling skills.
- Knowledge of safety, sanitation and food handling processes.
- Able to work flexible hours (nights, weekends).
- Responsible, dependable, punctual.
- Excellent communication skills; must be able to speak, read, and understand English.
- Clean and professional appearance.
- Demonstrates enthusiasm for all things 21c.
- Must pass a background check.
Travel Requirements: As needed.
21c Museum Hotels is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristic. The EEO is the Law poster is available here: http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/poster.cfm