JOURNEYS GROUP FITS 850 COLE ELEMENTARY STUDENTS WITH FREE SHOES
500 Journeys Group employees participate in day of service at nine local non-profit organizations
NASHVILLE, Tenn. – Employees of Journeys Group, a retail division of Nashville-based Genesco Inc., participated in the company’s second annual day of service on Monday, March 13 as part of the retailer’s annual global sales meeting in Nashville, Tenn. Throughout the day, 500 Journeys Group employees from across the country, Canada and the U.K. served nine non-profit organizations around the city focusing on projects that support children, young adults and families. The service day began at Cole Elementary, where employees fit 850 students with a free pair of new shoes.
“Our company is inspired by 12 core values, and one of our favorites is number 12: ‘Journeys is a family with an attitude that cares,’” said Jim Estepa, president and chief executive officer for Journeys Group. “This day of service brings our team together through the lens of giving back to say ‘thank you’ to Nashville for being our home base for more than 30 years.
Sites visited throughout the day included:
- Cole Elementary School, 180 Journeys Group volunteers fit 850 students with free shoes
- Second Harvest Food Bank, 90 Journeys Group volunteers worked in food sorting room
- Rocketown, 40 Journeys Group volunteers cleaned facility and painted recording studio, coffee bar & skate park
- Fall Hamilton Family Resource Center, 35 Journeys Group volunteers participated in beautification projects, such as painting murals and assembling activity bags for students on Spring Break
- Glencliff High Family Resource Center, 35 Journeys Group volunteers assembled teacher appreciation gift bags and student hygiene kits
- Bethlehem Family Resource Center, 30 Journeys Group volunteers created giant board games for students
- Maplewood High Family Resource Center, 30 Journeys Group volunteers painted, cleaned and organized facility
- Napier Family Resource Center, 30 Journeys Group volunteers assembled blessing bags with students
- St. Luke's Family Resource Center, 30 Journeys Group volunteers worked with partner organizations, such as the Nashville Diaper Bank
This is the second year that Journeys has incorporated a citywide day of service in Nashville in conjunction with the organization’s annual global sales meeting. Journeys Group employees from around the world will log more than 1,500 community service hours as a part of this event.
About Journeys Group
Journeys Group is the leading specialty retailer featuring branded fashion footwear and accessories with more than 1,350 stores in seven countries serving everyone from toddler to adult. Journeys Group operates seven banners in North America and Europe including Journeys, Journeys Kidz, Shi by Journeys, Underground by Journeys, Schuh, Schuh Kids and Little Burgundy. Journeys Group is a division of Genesco Inc.
Journeys is a leader in the teen specialty retail scene, with more than 815 stores in all 50 states, Puerto Rico and Canada. Journeys uses fashion savvy and merchandising science to keep in step with the fast-paced footwear and accessories market for 13 to 22-year-old guys and girls. Journeys offers a wide variety of trendy, relevant brands that cater to teens that seek the hottest, new styles. However, the Journeys store is more than a retail environment — it's an extension of the teen lifestyle. From the plasma TVs playing exclusive content and the latest music videos, to the visual merchandising strategy and promotions, to the employees whose image and style reflect the customers' lifestyle and attitude. In addition, Journeys reaches its customers through journeys.com, journeys.ca, catalog, national advertising, strategic cross-promotions, social media and grass-roots events. Journeys — An Attitude You Can Wear!