Two-Disc Album to Accompany Country Music Hall of Fame ® and Museum’s Dylan, Cash, and the Nashville Cats: A New Music City Presented by Citi
Album Featuring an Unreleased Bob Dylan Track Is Available Everywhere Tuesday, June 16
Exclusive Spotify Playlist with Commentary from Charlie Daniels Available Now Summer Concert Planned to Celebrate the Album on July 7
NASHVILLE, Tenn., – May 12, 2015 – Legacy Recordings, the catalog division of Sony Music Entertainment, and Country Music Foundation Records (CMF Records) announce the upcoming release of Dylan, Cash, and the Nashville Cats: A New Music City, a two-disc audio companion to the exhibition of the same name currently on display at the Country Music Hall of Fame ® and Museum.
Dylan, Cash, and the Nashville Cats: A New Music City, featuring a previously unreleased version of Bob Dylan's "If Not for You" and 35 other essential tracks, will be available Tuesday, June 16.
The Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum exhibition Dylan, Cash, and the Nashville Cats: A New Music City Presented by Citi, opened March 27, 2015, and will run through December 31, 2016. The museum will celebrate the album’s launch with a concert on July 7 beginning at 6 p.m. The line-up and location for the concert will be announced soon.
Available now, fans can follow a special Spotify playlist with ten cuts from the forthcoming album. A song will be added to the playlist each week leading up to the album’s release on June 16. The featured songs will be accompanied by special commentary from Charlie Daniels, who worked as a studio musician, playing guitar, on three of Dylan’s albums.
“When Dylan came to Nashville, he grabbed the attention of the world and changed perceptions of music in Nashville forever,” Daniels said. “This album shines a spotlight on that incredible time. I’m honored to offer commentary on these historic recordings for Spotify listeners.”
Dylan, Cash, and the Nashville Cats: A New Music City explores the relationship between pop, rock, folk, and country music through a variety of essential recordings that define an American era and sensibility that continue to shape and influence contemporary culture across the world.
Bob Dylan's decision to record his watershed double album Blonde on Blonde in Nashville in 1966 provided a catalyst for many other pop, rock and folk artists to record in Music City including Joan Baez, the Byrds, J.J. Cale, Leonard Cohen, Paul McCartney, Linda Ronstadt, Simon & Garfunkel and Neil Young.
“Bob Dylan surprised a lot of people when he came to Nashville and began working with the city’s unmatched session musicians, the Nashville Cats,” says Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum editor Michael Gray. “Around this same time, Johnny Cash was recruiting folk and rock musicians—including Dylan—to appear on his groundbreaking network television show. This album and Spotify playlist, with commentary from Charlie Daniels, explore this magical time in ‘a new Music City.’”
Dylan, Cash, and the Nashville Cats: A New Music City pays homage to these often unheralded session players through 36 pivotal tracks recorded in Nashville in the 1960s and 1970s by many of the biggest names and most popular artists in contemporary music.
Various Artists Dylan, Cash, and the Nashville Cats: A New Music City (Legacy Recordings/CMF Records)
1. Absolutely Sweet Marie – Bob Dylan
2. Harpoon Man – Charlie McCoy & the Escorts
3. It Ain't Me, Babe – Johnny Cash
4. Down in the Flood – Flatt & Scruggs
5. The Way I Feel – Gordon Lightfoot
6. I'll Be Your Baby Tonight – Bob Dylan
7. You Ain't Goin' Nowhere – The Byrds
8. This Wheel's on Fire – Ian & Sylvia
9. Gentle on My Mind – John Hartford
10. Some of Shelly's Blues – The Monkees
11. Turn Around – The Beau Brummels
12. I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry – Tracy Nelson
13. If You Don't Like Hank Williams (1968 Demo) – Kris Kristofferson
14. Bird on The Wire – Leonard Cohen
15. Hickory Wind – The Byrds
16. Blowing Down That Dusty Road – Country Joe McDonald
17. The Boxer – Simon & Garfunkel
18. Stone Fox Chase – Area Code 615
19. The Byrds Sweetheart of the Rodeo Radio Ad (Bonus Track)
1. Girl from the North Country – Bob Dylan with Johnny Cash
2. Driftin' Way of Life – Jerry Jeff Walker
3. Behind That Locked Door – George Harrison
4. Beaucoups of Blues – Ringo Starr
5. Going to the Country – Steve Miller Band
6. The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down – Joan Baez
7. City of New Orleans – Steve Goodman
8. Blue River – Eric Andersen
9. Heart of Gold – Neil Young
10. If Not for You (previously unreleased version) – Bob Dylan
11. Crazy Mama – J.J. Cale
12. Seven Bridges Road (1972 Nashville Version) – Steve Young
13. Will the Circle Be Unbroken – Nitty Gritty Dirt Bandv 14. Silver Wings – Earl Scruggs with Linda Ronstadt
15. A Six Pack to Go – Leon Russell (as Hank Wilson)
16. Sally G – Paul McCartney & Wings
17. Matchbox (Live on the Johnny Cash Show) – Derek & The Dominos with Johnny Cash and Carl Perkins
For more information including an exhibit summary, photos, and video, click here. Follow @countrymusichof on Twitter and join the conversation using #DylanCashExhibit.