AXS TV TO BROADCAST SPECIAL PRESENTATION OF “THE 50th ANNUAL CMA AWARDS” JAN. 1
NASHVILLE – Ring in the New Year with one of 2016’s biggest celebrations when a special encore presentation of “The 50th Annual CMA Awards” airs Sunday, Jan. 1 (8:00 PM/ET) on AXS TV.
Originally broadcast live from Nashville on Nov. 2, the ceremony honored the best of the year while showcasing five decades of Country Music legacy.
Highlights from the gala include:
- The star-packed show opener featuring 12 format legends that culminated with the introduction of 2016 Country Music Hall of Fame member Randy Travis singing the last line of “Forever and Ever, Amen,” moving many to tears.
- Hosts Brad Paisley’s and Carrie Underwood’s topical and hilarious opening monologue.
- Garth Brooks and Trisha Yearwood trading vocals and stealing hearts with a medley of Country classics. Brooks was later named CMA Entertainer of the Year by a surprise presenter, former Entertainer of the Year Taylor Swift. Brooks is now the most awarded Entertainer in CMA Awards history with five wins!
- Maren Morris’ tearful acceptance speech after being named New Artist of the Year and recalling that just last year, she watched the CMA Awards from a bar down the street.
- A surprise performance from Beyoncé with former CMA Entertainer of the Year Dixie Chicks in a Texas throw down of “Daddy Lessons,” which the Dixie Chicks performed frequently on the road, flavored with their song “Long Time Gone.”
- A collaboration between two of the most awarded men in CMA Awards history, Alan Jackson and George Strait, trading riffs and hits.
- A tribute to Willie Nelson Lifetime Achievement Award recipient Dolly Parton featuring five of the strongest female voices in the format with Martina McBride, Kacey Musgraves, Jennifer Nettles, Reba, and Underwood that was introduced by Parton’s “9 to 5” co-star Lily Tomlin. Pentatonix kicked it off with a cover of “Jolene” with Nettles.
For more information, visit www.cmaworld.com/cma-awards/CMAawards50.com.